FW: Are you sure you want to do this?

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Are you sure you want to do this?
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:16:27 -0500
My Dad has been harassing me ever since I got my Spitfire.  I am not
sure why since he was the one that bought me my first one 20 years ago
for Christmas!  Maybe he's just jealous!  Anyway, this was his latest
assault.  I don't know where he finds these, but since most everybody
likes "Click and Clack", I thought I'd forward this one to the list.

Bill Miller

Original Message as follows:

CAR TALK
April 1993

------
----

Dear Tom and Ray:

I'm getting ready to purchase my first automobile this summer, and I
have my
heart set on an old, British sports car. I'd either like an MG, or a
Triumph
Spitfire. However, my parents aren't exactly thrilled because they
feel old
sports cars need too many repairs and are unsafe. I just want to drive
and from work, but I do want to know if cars like MGs and Spitfires
are just
a hassle. Kellie
Ray: A car like that is not just a hassle, Kellie. It's a complete and
utter hassle, as well as a money pit, a death trap, and source of
continual and painful frustration.
Tom: But you should definitely get one, Kellie. They're wonderful
cars!
Ray: In their favor, they are among the safest cars you can buy.
They're always sitting in the driveway with the hood up, and you can't
get much safer than that. And the busses you'll be taking instead do
very well in the crash tests.
Tom: Don't listen to him, Kellie, he has no sense of the romantic. He
doesn't remember what it's like to cruise down the road, the roar of
the engine in your ears, the sun on your face, and the wind tangling
knots in your hair.
Ray: Very funny. I do REMEMBER what it's like to have hair for the
wind to tangle. But when you painted this scene, you neglected to
mention the smell of burning oil wafting up your nostrils, and your
AAA card clutched fearfully in your sweaty palm.
Tom: Oh, picky, picky. I've owned both of these cars, and everything
my
brother says is true. But despite that, I have nothing but wonderful
memories of them. Go for it, Kellie. Do it while you're young. You may
never
have another chance to do anything this stupid again! 1675