Re: Duty Charges?

To: "Sizemore, Shane" <shane.sizemore@medaphis.com>,
Subject: Re: Duty Charges?
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 18:16:02 -0500
Everything that is imported into the US from another country is subject to
US Customs Duty.  Unless you and the shipper make some other arrangment it
will be handled by a broker.  e.g. UPS has a site in Kentucky I think that
gets east coast shipments, from the paper work identifying the material and
the source of the material a customs expert assigns a duty.  This may be as
little as 0 to a large percent of the value of the material.  I have seen
listings in the catalog as highs as 50%.  However, most car parts from UK
and probably from Canada, probably both Most Favored Nations (or what ever
the new term for that is) will run around 4% or so.  UPS seems to deliver
the package after it clears customs and then later will bill you.  I
recently ordered $250 worth of stuff from Rimmer and the duty was about
$4.00 and the fee for handling the customs was about $5.00.  None of this
has anything to do with shipping costs and is only loosely connected to the
cost of the goods.

If you want to see the catalog of listed goods that have specific dutys go
to the US Customs web site.  There are thoushands of individual
descriptions and rates.

Sam