Re: Help please -long. Scion of Lucas dis-inherited

To: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@iwaccu.com>
Subject: Re: Help please -long. Scion of Lucas dis-inherited
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 23:06:58 -0800
Nick,
The "ESS" at the end of the engine serial number indicates that it was
provided as a "Spare Parts" engine, so it is highly likely that the
engine was replaced by a Triumph Dealer sometime in its past.  This
would explain the significant difference in the commission number and
engine sequence.

As for the wiring, I would follow the schematic Figure 10.65 in the
Haynes manual.  As you see the positive terminal of the coil connects to
the contact on the starter solenoid.  It is the negative terminal that
connects to the distributor.

Regards,
Joe

Nick Moseley wrote:

> Help please.
> I'm having a problem with the ignition circuit of a newly-acquired '78 Spit.
> It has had an engine transplant as engine SN is FM4344UESS (whats' the "SS"
> anyway?), yet the car SN is FM69XXX. No air pump, and contact breaker
> distributor.
> The ignition light doesn't go on.No spark at the plugs.
> Previous owner said he thought the distributor had jumped a tooth.
> I followed Haynes manual, and adjusted the distributor. (My first mistake?)
> I lined up the timing mark on the pulley to the mark, then adjusted the
> distributor so that the points were just starting to open.
> The wiring harness now has one wire going from the negative terminal of the
> coil to the distributor (crimped ends so obvously a PO maneuver).
> The small blue cylinder beside the coil is not attached (ballast resistor?)
> It shows almost 15 volts at the battery, and when the wire is disconnected
> from the coil, 15 volts on the line that is going to the positive terminal
> of the coil. But when that wire is attached to the positive terminal of the
> coil, the voltage goes down to almost nothing.
> I have a voltmenter, but no multimeter (ohm-meter?)
> Would one of you kind and knowledgeable readers take pity on a scion of
> Lucas who appears to have been dis-inherited?!
> What should I do now? I've pored over wiring diagrams, to no avail. I note
> that Haynes shows the wire from the negative coil terminal to the
> distributor, yet in the text where it tells how to manually set the timing,
> it refers to that wire as coming from the positive terminal. Yes, I'm
> confused.
> I've taken the say off tommorrow to try and solve this problem, but don't
> know  what to do.
> All help gratefully appreciated
>
> Nick Moseley
> 76 Spit FM46454U