Re: Quaife

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Quaife
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:29:31 -0800
Joe,

I installed such unit to my Spitfire last summer. It has a Herald 13/60
diff with 4.11 ratio and bigger diameter stub axles which I think is the
same as used in Spitfire Mk3. I was told beforehand that the Quaife unit
fits only to the later Spitfire 3.89 diff...

Luckily I didn't belive that because now it sits there and works well.
Only modification I had to make was that there was a spacer required
between the crown wheel and carrier. I made one of 1mm sheet steel which
seems to work well.

Biggest job was to adjust the bearing pre-load and clearance between the
crown and pinion and I think that you should do it by yourself only if
you know exactly what you're doing, and have right tools for it.

BTW, now I'm removing the diff again to install 4.88 gears there. New
adjustment again...

Jari
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell