Re: oil pressure = 0

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: oil pressure = 0
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 08:58:45 -0500
At 08:03 PM 12/12/98 -0600, you wrote:

>I just completed a month long adventure of installing steel brake lines,
>u-joints, shocks, and piddling.  I cranked the car and the oil pressure
>didn't rise!  It was dark and my wife was calling me in, so I didn't have a
>lot of time to trouble shoot.
>
>Is there any quick way to tell if my sending unit is good or bad?  Any tips
>on tracking this down?

Kevin,

   Lets, start with the obvious.  Check the dip stick and see if there is
any oil in the pan.

   If the car has been sitting for a long time, most of the oil will have
drained back and it will take a while to build up pressure.

   The easiest way is to spend about $18 US for a small mechanical oil guage
and the adapter kit.  Connect the oil pressure guage into the same place
that the electrical sending unit is.

   Now if you really think you don't have any oil pressure, pull the plugs
and spin the engine over with the starter.  This reduces the load on the
starter, and the internals of the eng.  Crank for about 10 sec.  If no
pressure, try again.  Repeat put not for more and a total of about 60 seconds.

   The other way to do this, is to pull the dist. and place a rod down to the
pump shaft.  Chuch this rod up into an electric drill, and spin the pump to
prime it.

Hope this helps

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V