Re: Strange Shifting

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Strange Shifting
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 20:37:09 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, David Moag wrote:

> All of a sudden, my Spitfire has begun to have strange problems shifting
> gears. It almost seems as if the whole shift pattern suddenly "rotated"
> about 30 degrees off center. None of the gear positions seem to line up the
> way they previously did. It also seems very difficult to get into higher
> gears at times --- not sure if this is a by-product of having them at
> strange angle positions or a genuine problem outside of that.
>
> This is a fairly new installation of a gearbox with overdrive. Hasn't been
> used much, but up until now it performed absolutely beautifully --- and then
> it decides to do this. Any ideas where to look?

David, if this is a three-rail gearbox, first look no further than the
top cover extension and shift lever itself. What you describe sounds like
a classic case of one or more of the nylon bushings having given up the
ghost. A $20 bushing kit will take care of that problem very nicely.

I'm not as familiar with the single-rail later gearbox; there might be a
similar bushing or bushings.

Good luck.

--Andy