why is my car stopping?

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: why is my car stopping?
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:54:58 EST
It seems that more often than not, when I come to a stop, my car stalls. Of
course I am pushing the clutch all the way in. Unless I put it in neutral as I
come up to a stop, the engine slows and stalls. The engine also seems to have
erratic idle speeds as well, ranging from 500 to 1000 rpm. First, I took off
my boot-leg cold air induction system, with no effect. Then I tried turning up
the idle, again, no effect. It happens regardless of whether the engine is
warm. I checked my haynes manual, and it suggested to lean of a mixture or a
leaky manifold. I was wondering if anyone had any comments.