stainless exhaust

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: stainless exhaust
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:03:00 -0500
Hello everyone,

I hope everybody had a good christmas!  My wife has given me a stainless
exhaust for my Spit for Christmas, which unfortunately appears to be for
the european spec. version.  The front pipe is actually two pipes that
converge into one and will not fit the N. American manifold.  I'm going to
exchange it tommorow and my question is this:  The muffler seems to be
heavy gauge stainless, and appears almost chromed, and is non-magnetic,
while the pipes apppear to me to be mild steel and are magnetic.  Before I
tell the people at the store that this is not really a stainless system I
wanted to make sure that this wasn't the way it is supposed to be.  I had
requested that my wife get me the Moss system # 862-190.  Which is supposed
to be totally stainless.  I know that there are different grades of
stainless steel and that by definition they must contain 10.5% chromium to
be called stainless.  Does anyone have this system? and are the pipes
indeed stainless? and non-magnetic?  I suspect the dealer may have tried to
substitute another system in place of the Moss part.  Any guidance would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Glenn Trunnell
'76/79 Spitfire