UPDATED INFO- "Do I need help?!....."

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: UPDATED INFO- "Do I need help?!....."
From: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>
Date: 29 Dec 98 09:13:23 EST
(Tried to send this out last night, but did it over the wrong account, and
Majordomo rejected it !  Here it goes again...) (Tired again and failed again!
 This is the LAST time!!!  And I apologize if these are in fact going
through.)

Hi again to all:

Well, it seems that the man I talked to on the phone was the brother of the
owner of the car, and he told be about the car TO THE BEST OF HIS KNOWLEDGE.
Here are the REAL details...

The car has 34, 000 miles.
It has a factory hardtop.
It is a 4 spd w/ O/D.
It is said to be "all stock", but the owner then goes into some interesting
details.
It has a new walker muffler.
It has a WEBER.  Now from what he said, I couldn't tell if it was a DGV or a
DCOE, but I do know there is only ONE.
There is a small rip in the driver's seat, but otherwise the interior is
like new.
Here's the kicker... the car was originally white, but was repainted red
last year (along with the hardtop.)  Doesn't bother me too much.
"Good Tires"
"Bumpers like new"
The car will need collectors plates to avoid Ohio's lovely E-check.
"Pretty much mint"  Whatever.  I'll believe it when I see it.
He claims that when the paint job was carried out, that no body work was
done whatsoever.  I'm inclined to believe him.
He says $4,000.  I asked if that was negotiable.  "A little bit."  Hmm...
perhaps $500? $600?  $2,000? :)
We'll see!

To anser a few questions on the '75 that came up, it does NOT have O/D (how
big of a benefit IS it?), it DOES have a hardtop, but a non-factory
fiberglass one.  Other than that, the only difference is that it has twice
the milage.  And given the Spit's bottom-end troubles, I'd much ratehr have
a low milage car that I can do an overhaul on at 50K, versus one that
already has 65K on it!

I'm really hopeful that I can get the guy with the '80 down to about
$3400-3500, because then it puts the car solidly into my price range.
(Heck, Paps is paying half!  What's another 250 bucks?!)