Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Do I need help?! Another Spitfire Prospect!!
From: Ronald Fowler <triumph@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:54:56 -0500
Brian Furgalus wrote:
> Hi again to all:
>
> Well, it seems that the man I talked to on the phone was the brother of the
> owner of the car, and he told be about the car TO THE BEST OF HIS KNOWLEDGE.
> Here are the REAL details...
>
> The car has 34, 000 miles.
> It has a factory hardtop.

Great!!  The top alone is worth $150 to $400!!!

> It is a 4 spd w/ O/D.
> It is said to be "all stock", but the owner then goes into some interesting
> details.
> It has a new walker muffler.
> It has a WEBER.  Now from what he said, I couldn't tell if it was a DGV or a
> DCOE, but I do know there is only ONE.
> There is a small rip in the driver's seat, but otherwise the interior is
> like new.
> Here's the kicker... the car was originally white, but was repainted red
> last year (along with the hardtop.)  Doesn't bother me too much.

I KNEW THIS WAS COMING!!!!!!  Like I mentioned earlier a really nice,
original red '80, without rust, is really hard to find!  In the used car
trade they call this resell red!!!!  It may not bother you but it does
tend to affect the price and value of the car.  Remember, you may
want/need to sell the car at a future date and the next person may care
that it is not the original color.  If the car is outstanding though, it
may be worth pursuing.  Also, I like the Weber equipped cars that I have
test driven.  Ask to see if he has the original parts as well.

> "Good Tires"
> "Bumpers like new"
> The car will need collectors plates to avoid Ohio's lovely E-check.

Better check this out closely!!!!  The use of collector's plates in Ohio
has changed!!!!!  The current law in Ohio states that for counties
requiring E-check that to obtain the collector plate it has to pass an
initial test first.  As it was explained to me, the plates now only
exempt you from future testing!  I believe this change was retroactive
to January 1 of 1997, be sure to check this out thoroughly. If you live
in a county requiring the test, you will have to have the emission
system tested and will have expenses trying to comply.  There is an
amount you have to spend to show that you have tried to comply with the
emissions law.  As I understand the law, it doesn't matter if the car
fails the testing but you do have to show that you have made at least a
monetary attempt at getting the vehicle close to compliance.

> "Pretty much mint"  Whatever.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Odds are against it.  If it needed a paint job it's not mint.

> He claims that when the paint job was carried out, that no body work was
> done whatsoever.  I'm inclined to believe him.

Hmmmm.....

> To answer a few questions on the '75 that came up, it does NOT have O/D (how
> big of a benefit IS it?),

The benefit is worth about $1,000 in value and the total enjoyment of
the car if you want to drive over 55 mph!  It really helps the engine at
that speed and it takes off over 1,000 rpm's at 65 mph!  I've owned both
types and the overdrive is a must on interstate highways.

> I'm really hopeful that I can get the guy with the '80 down to about
> $3400-3500, because then it puts the car solidly into my price range.
> (Heck, Paps is paying half!  What's another 250 bucks?!)

>From your description of the '80 and knowing the market in Ohio, it
sounds like a car closer to $2,500 than $4,000.  It would really have to
be in great shape to bring that $3,500 that you want to pay.

Apologies in advance for the cut up message with responses.

Again,

Ron Fowler
'80 Inca Yellow Spitfire with Overdrive
'80 Platinum TR8 and four other wedges without V8 power!