Spitfire racecar story

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire racecar story
From: Chris Crisenbery <ffajackson@absolute-net.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:59:50 -0500
For those of us on the wild side of Spitfireland I felt the need to tell
my story of my racing Spit. I had a cousin that raced in the SCCA in the
early 80's in a 1500 MGB who I never got to see but always heard about
how good he was (won a national championship 78'). I had been goofing
around parking lot racing with whatever I owned at the time and decided
maybe I could race also, this being my first year of college 1984. One
thing led to another and I was in touch with my famous :) cousin asking
if he knew of any cheap racecars for sale. He had just heard from a
former buddy that was being transferred out east and was getting to the
age that a family and a race car was not compatible ???? I got the
address and set out to see this car - it was a Spitfire? I arrived
several hours later to a nice home outside of detroit. The first clue I
missed that could have told me what I was getting into was the fact that
his two car garage didnt contain any of the family cars but only the
Spit and the associated parts needed for its continued upkeep along with
a motorhome to pull it (clue 2). The car was a dreadful orange but being
19 and it being 3 inch off the ground and flared from here to there I
couldn't hardly stand it. Because he was moving in two weeks he said he
would throw in the double axle trailer for the original asking price of
the car $3,500.00 (What a race tranny costs today!!).  I took a whole
roll of film to show my dad what it looked like and stopped in Ann Arbor
at a 1 hour developer so I could be ready to plead my case when I got
back to Hillsdale. Dad being the kind of father that hopes his son will
listen, spelled out all the problems with owning such a limited use car,
no money to race it, no experience, limited mechanical knowledge, no tow
vehicle and the fact that I had just started college in the U.P. at MTU
(3rd clue). He was right on all points, but he still let me buy it!!!

We had to load our pick up truck, the car trailer and a second trailer
and truck to bring it all home (4th clue). Again dad came to the rescue
and let me have the use of one of his work bays in the marina's boat
repair garage of his store. The car sat for the next 4 years while I
labored through school. I finally graduated in 1989 with a Civil
Engineering degree, a fiancé (who I married in Sept. of 89') and a
burning desire to go racing. My first driver school came one year later
in 1990 and I have been racing ever since with the exception of this
year which I took off for racing political reasons and to add to our
family our first child Sara.

To all my friends - racing is the most fun you can have with your
clothes on!

I hope to race again in 1999 and will post where we will be and add to
the above story of the first few years of heartbreak and joy owning a
race Spit. if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Chris Crisenbery

1964 conv. Corvette
1965 race Spit
1966 street Spit (under restoration)