Steering column parts needed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering column parts needed
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:39:34 -0500
Hey Gang:

In the course of trying to make one really pristine steering column out
of the sixteen friggin' steering columns (a slight exaggeration) I have
in my storage garage, I find myself in the unlikely position of actually
needing to buy a steering column.

Sad, but true.

By the way, we're talking about a Spitfire, pre plastic housing (pre
'77).

Every single one of the housing tubes I have is buggered up in some way,
some are crushed from the ignition switch/steering lock clamp, others
are twisted and bent, one is covered with an odd assortment of drill
gouges and tool marks that can only speak to an unpleasant episode in
it's history.  None of them are up to the level of the restoration I'm
doing.  (http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/toys.htm)

Anybody know of a source for a new or gently used housing?  I have tons
of good columns and all of that, I'm just looking for the stamped metal
housing.

Also, I'm going to be using a steering wheel out of one of my parts
cars, a wood rimmed three spoke Nardi job.  It looks like it came with
the car, judging by the integration of the horn button/center hub (it's
all BL stuff) was it maybe an option?  If anybody knows more about this
wheel I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks in advance, and happy new year to y'all!

John