Re: Head removal

To: James Carpenter <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Subject: Re: Head removal
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 10:16:54 -0800
James Carpenter wrote:

> >From experience I would agree but with old style cars you don't need to
> replace them every time.  With older cars you just get a touque to tighten
> the studs too, but with new ones you also get an angle.  So you tighten the
> bolt down to a certain torque and the turn it through the angle specified.
> The streches the studs and reduces the risk of a blown head gasguet.  One
> thing it is worth mentioning is the nuts you use, I used brand new ordinery
> nuts and found that the head kepped on blowing, I then swapped to second
> hand mini nuts and haven't had a problem since.  So make sure that your
> replacement part are up to the job.

James,
Kas Kastner suggests using Spitfire Lug Nuts for the head studs if you
can't locate nuts that have more threads.  Of course, these would be the
older ones before Triumph started using the closed chromed ones.  Since
the nuts have more threads they will hold better.  Plus, they should be
readily available.

Regards,
Joe

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer