Small Gas Welders

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Small Gas Welders
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 06:53:17 +0000
Listerati,

Does anyone have any experience with the small Bernzomatic-type compressed
oxygen-MAPP gas
welders that sell for about $ 35. Specifically, I have a few small holes in the
floor of my  '71 that need some attention. Generally, I have tried to own and
maintain this car on a shoestring budget. This is the only welding I have to do,
so I'd be willing to buy the disposable cylinders at about $5 a pop if the thing
will actually weld floor gauge steel. According to the box, a set of cylinders
will go for 20-25 minutes before going empty; in welding a floor, is this just a
recipe for frustration, or can you accomplish much in this amount of time? I
read some good things about small oxy-MAPP gas welding sets (Toteweld(TM)) in a
restoration book I have, but I don't know if the tank sizes were the same.

I have a small attached suburban garage (two-car) and three young kids with
bikes, sports equipment, etc, so space and safety issues (like giant
oxy-acetylene cylinders) are important.

Regards,
Bob Waid
'71 Spitfire MkIV