Total Electrical Failure --- Completely Non-LBC

Subject: Total Electrical Failure --- Completely Non-LBC
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:17:14 -0800
Hello all,

Sorry about this posting, it's not about an LBC (although I've been battling
starting problems w/ my Spitfire the last couple of days I am not yet ready
to admit defeat and ask you all for advice on that one yet!)

This one is my Infiniti Q45 (the car responsible for daily driving, but more
importantly, the car the hauls all the parts and tools needed for the LBCs).
I went to start the car to take the kids to dinner and it acted like it had
a dead battery --- nearly no headlights, all other lights very dims, etc).
This seemed weird since I had driven it twice to Pep Boys today and added
another 80 miles of freeway driving a half hour earlier.

So I hooked up my battery charger (it shows the battery to be 75-80% if you
can trust that -- which I don't). I switched the charger into "start" mode
and tried turning it over. All I get is a weird sort of buzzing and clicking
sort of combination --- sounds kind of like a little kid imitating a machine
gun. Lots of other strange buzzing noises also coming out of all other areas
of the car when the key in the accessory position.

Now this is not a car I maintain myself --- way too many computers and you
can't even find the plugs in the thing. But before I arrange for a morning
tow does anyone have any idea of what I might be facing? I'd rather not tow
it to a local place only to later have to tow it to a dealer --- so I figure
I'd be ahead of the game if I have an idea of the nature of the failure.

Thanks -- and sorry for the off topic rambling!

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire (constantly draining battery that I keep having to jump start)
62 TR3B (rolling chassis w/ the rest in boxes and a engine half way rebuilt)
95 Infiniti Q45 (whose problems I REALLY don't need right now!)

P.S. My son is now convinced that are driveway is over some sacred burial
ground and none of my cars will ever work well again :(