Steering Rack Boots (Gaiters)

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Boots (Gaiters)
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:50:09 -0500
Listers,
Help....... OK what's the trick to getting the left (driver) side boot
on? Or is the one I have TOO small? I can't seem to get the inside
portion of the boot over the flange so that I can clamp it down. The
original boot has a bigger diameter opening on that end, but I figured
that was due to time and stretching. So I guess my question is: Is the
inner opening of the boot supposed to fit over the flange tightly, with
stretching, or just slide over and be secured with the clamp? With all
the grease on the rack, it sure is tough to get a hold on the boot to
try to stretch it over the flange.... There MUST be an easier way.....
Hope someone can help.

TIA for any advice.

Cheers

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.seacoast.com/~jsweet/brotherh/index.html
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249