Re: Steering Rack Boots (Gaiters)

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Boots (Gaiters)
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:04:15 -0500
At 10:50 AM 1/16/99 -0500, Bob Norway wrote:

>Help....... OK what's the trick to getting the left (driver) side boot
>on?

And Joe Curry answered:

>The steering rack bellows are "handed" so if you don't
>have the correct one it will not fit.

Just to build on what Joe said, the gaiter 'kits' commonly sold have two
different sized 'boots' in them, left-hand side and right-hand side.   Make
sure you install the correct one on the correct side, sometimes you don't
notice the subtle size difference (especially when comparing a used
'stretched' gaiter to the ones in the box).

I struggled because of this when I replaced mine.

Atwell Haines (older and wiser now)
'79 Spitfire