Problems with Timing and Oil Filter

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Problems with Timing and Oil Filter
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:53:45
I just finished up replacing my timing chain last night (actually the seal
was bad and I figured it was worth it to replace the chain at the same
time).  I have not had ample time to check it out yet.  but in my two
minute inspection I ran across a couple of items that I hoped I could get
answers on.  ('79 1500 Spit bty)  When I started the engine I checked the
timing (which is usually 6deg BTDC)  It was actually before the mark plate
thingy (probably about 12 to 15 deg BTDC)  The car was running on fast idle
and I did not have time to warm it up, but it ran pretty good at that
setting, about 1700 rpm.  I moved it to 6 deg BTDC and it ran about 1400
rpm, here it ran ok , but I seam to think once it gets off fast idle it
would be poor.  I am almost positive I aligned the marks perfectly (I
checked it TEN TIMES!!!)  The chain I took off had about 1/2 inch slack and
the new one about 1/4 inch slack (should a new chain from Spitbits have
that much slack?)  I am wondering if perhaps the slack was in the wrong
position and threw something off, or if I missed it by a tooth. I did not
replace the sprockets, but I did remove the cam sprocket to install the
chain,  I was extremely carefull not to move it though,  would this need to
be degreed?  How do you do that?

Next question,  I replaced the oil filter (FRAM) it had been sitting a week
with the oil pan off,  when I took it off it was almost bone dry!!!  Is it
unusual for the oil to drain back like that?  Is this indicative of the
quality of FRAM filters?  Or am I possibly looking at another problem?

Finally,  If I need to remover the valve cover to check this is the *new*
oil seal reusable? and since I don't have any extra gaskets, what about
using RTV only.

Please help, my wife is getting tired of taking me to work and it is 75
degrees here in Florida, not driving my car is a crime!!

Patrick Bowen
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL