Good Spitfire News!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Good Spitfire News!
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:21:14 -0500
Golly gee, everyone seems to be having problems with the repairs on our
cars.  Sales of brake fluid and timing lights seem to be at an all-time high!

I'll just report on some SUCCESSFUL repairs:

Problems:       1). "CLUNK" when applying brakes in reverse, then again the
first time brakes are applied going forward.
                2). Vibration/pulsation when rear brakes were applied. (Some of
you may
remember me spending a lot of time on this last summer)

Cause:          The four bolts holding the brake backing plate were loose. (Only
about half a 'flat' each.)  I had worked on this area last winter when I
changed the axle, and yes I had torqued the bolts to spec. I guess the
mating surfaces had to bed in or something.  What took me so long to
tighten this hardware was, I had to obtain the proper 'offset' wrench to
avoid removing the brake shoes and/or wheel flange again!

Smilin' again,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey."
Drive a Spitfire!