I am really starting to hate this timing thing

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: I am really starting to hate this timing thing
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:10:02
OK, here comes part three of Spitfire Timing.  Last night I completely
redid the timing on my 1500.  (at this point I am getting quite fast at it)
 I can reuse the main oil seal, and as for the timing cover gasket it was
reusable as well.  But here is the problem.  I checked, double checked, I
even asked my WIFE! if everything was lined up, as it definitely appeared
so, I proceeded.  Well during the installation I stripped out the bottom
bolt that goes into the Timing cover (any good answers on how to fix this
one).  I completely reassembled everything and it still runs the same way.
It runs at proper timing (10 deg BTDC), but runs better at about 30 deg
BTDC.  I am having a hard timing discerning what is happening here.  Am I
just imagining things, and it is in fact OK?  Have I inhaled two much
exhuast which would prevent me from lining up two bricks, much less dots?
Or is it possible that the dots on my sprockets are slightly off/mismarked?
 What is the best way of fixing this, and determining exactly what is
happening?  Is there a secret to lining these things up, mine is awful hard
to determine.  My wife is really sick of driving me to work and starting to
curse the car, Besides, I am getting really sick of redoing the timing
every other day.

Please help, and many thanks.
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire