GT6 head off / Strom rebuild

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 head off / Strom rebuild
From: Zip <J.D.C.Zerihan@soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:34:49 +0000
Hi all

On my recently acquired off-the-road-for-15-years Mk3 GT6, the bottom
end of the engine seems OK (crank her over on the starter motor and it
takes 9 seconds for the oil light to come on again after stopping).  I
thought I'd do a compression test before trying to fire her up and got
180 175 60 40 20 140.  Oil down the bores made very little difference
(pistion rings therefore ok?), so I either have a cracked head / blown
gasket, or valve problems.

Does anyone have any advice/tips for removing the head - the studs look
a bit iffy, so they're being dowsed in WD/oil for a week.  If it's a
simple blown gasket, do I need the head skimmed / any other
precautions??

Also, I'm about to rebuild the Stroms - any tips anybody, and I've heard
of a tool for the needles - what is this, and are they useful/necessary?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Zerihan