m/c rebuild take 2

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: m/c rebuild take 2
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:03:37
OK, I finally finished rebuilding my M/C last night.  But let me tell
everyone what not to do, as I almost destroyed a perfectly good (albeit
dirty, igave up trying to clean it) reservoir.  The rubber seals that go
into the holes that the reservoir sit on must ride inside of the m/c.  I
mistakenly inserted them with the large end on top.  As can be expected the
seals placed too much distance between the m/c and the reservoir (about 1/4
inch) I assumed it must be new seals and you have to compress it some,
tight fit makes better seal, right?  Well by the time i was done I had
elongated the plastic hole that one of the pins goes through virtually
making it worthless.  This was about the time I woke up and realized what I
had done wrong.  It is now assembled correctly (large part of the seal goes
INSIDE the m/c) and as far as I can tell the three other holes are enough
to hold it tight.  But man is it irritating.  Thanks

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL