Re: brake drum

To: SpitfireKP@aol.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake drum
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 19:57:04 -0500
At 05:38 PM 3/11/99 EST, SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:

>Does anyone have a rear brake drum for a 74 Spit 1500? On passenger side
drum,
>one of the studs came loose, and it is making an annoying noise, which cannot
>be good. I would like to fix it ASAP if possible, b/c it makes an er-e-er-e-
>er-e noise under acceleration and occasional turns. After maybe 4 seconds, it
>goes away. I believe that the stud is causing this. If not, I'd take any
>advice.

Sorry Kris, can't help you with the drum...but are the two little
countersunk screws in place to hold the drum? (Vicky Brit Catalog, Pg 135
item 3)

They were missing on one side of my Spit when I got it, and while _ I _
never drove it like that, the center hub had been damaged by the drum. I
had to file it round again so that a new drum would fit on it smoothly.

Of course if you have a loose wheel stud I'd replace all 4 on that wheel.
There have been quite a few stories of Spitfire studs breaking!

Your noise sound as if it COULD be a u-joint.   Greased them lately?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
"Honk if you love peace and quiet."