Re: brake drum

To: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Subject: Re: brake drum
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:07:16 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have a rear brake drum for a 74 Spit 1500? On passenger side drum,
> one of the studs came loose, and it is making an annoying noise, which cannot
> be good. I would like to fix it ASAP if possible, b/c it makes an er-e-er-e-
> er-e noise under acceleration and occasional turns. After maybe 4 seconds, it
> goes away. I believe that the stud is causing this. If not, I'd take any
> advice.

Kris, I don't think the brake drum is your problem. IT is "held on" with
two countersunk screws, but realistically the wheel holds it on
regardless. Also, the wheel studs are not part of the drum; rather, they
are part of the outer hub. One loose stud should not make any real noise,
so long as the other three are ok and the lug nuts are snug.

Other possibilities for the noise are u-joints and wheel bearings. For
you own good (and safety) and for the good of your wallet, investigate
and correct the problem ASAP. A u-joint that lets go WILL cause much
other damage. Wheel bearings that are too noisy probably have already
damaged the axle beyond rescue. Don't ask me how I know these things.

Also, you might pull off the drum and check for a loose backing plate or
any loose brake parts.

--Andy