Front shocks (and spring)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front shocks (and spring)
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 05:37:57 PST
Hello,
Took my front shocks to a machine shop and had KYB's installed on the
springs. (Shame, shame... Yes, Japanese shocks on my LBC) (Machine
shop... No flying springs for me please).
Anyway, The rubber bushing at the top of the shock insists on sitting
crooked. The shock also sits closer to one part of the spring then
another. Which I think it did on the origonal shocks from 1971 that I
had removed. Is it supposed to be a bit cock-eyed?
The bushings were also confusing. One was smaller with bevelled edges,
the other was a little larger with straight corners. Tried the bushings
both ways (with the help of my ever soooo patient machine shop man) and
finally settled on the smaller bevelled between the shock and the top
mounting plate and the larger squarer one on the top between the
mounting plate and the washer.
Did I do this corectly?
Just don't want to put it on wrong? Did they send me the wrong bushings?
Is it supposed to be crooked?
Thanks, as always, for all of your expertise!
Keith
71 MK IV (rising from the ashes and eating at my wallet)   :)