Re: rear suspension

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear suspension
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:07:41 -0800 (PST)

   I'm assuming you also used the shorter earlier spring.

Personally, I'd assume that when he said he used the short axles with the
swing spring, it meant that he used the short axles with the swing spring.
The early spring was removed, a later swing spring was installed.

There should be room for 185/60 tires under most spitfires, assuming the
suspension isn't in really bad shape, or bent, or badly aligned.  It may be
necessary to bend up the inner lip of the fenders a bit, but likely not.

Sometimes folks will put considerable effort into the rear suspension, trying
to solve the uneven sag back there.  The first thing you should do before
tackling rear suspension problems is make sure that the front suspension is
in spec.  No bad bushings, no bent towers, no sagging springs at that end.
Once the front suspension is sorted, you'll make quicker progress at the
back end.  Most cars have the rear end connected to the back end.  Well,
there was that $100 parts car I bought that was a Mark 1 front half welded,
mostly, to a Mark 3 back half.

Putting in a lat emodel swing spring, along with the matching front anti-roll
bar can make quite a difference in an early Spits cornering capability.  The
bad news is that it that it is getting harder to find suitable donor cars!

mjb.