Re: rear suspension

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: rear suspension
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:09:05 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Yes, the swing spring is a bit longer.  The goal of the modifications to the
> suspension was to minimize the jacking effect, inherent in the design of the
> swing axle suspension.  This was accomplished by a drastic reduction of the
> roll stiffness in the rear, an increase in rear track, and an increase in the
> negative camber of the rear wheels.

Normally, I wouldn't think of arguing with Mark on Spitfire suspension
stuff. However, the early "squaretail" Spitfires with swing-springs (1971
and 1972) still used the same length axles as all Spitfires (and Heralds,
etc.) that came before). It was not until the 1973 model year that rear
axles were made 1" longer, resulting in a 2" increase in rear track.

--Andy