Sagging doors

To: spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sagging doors
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:08:50 -0500

Hello,

My Spitfire has sagging doors. Who's doesn't, right? Well, in trying to fix
mine I may have uncovered a bigger problem. What else is new? :)

It seemed to me that my door sag was caused by the top hinge in each door,
which had a lot of slop (worse on the driver's side), as if the pin inside
had worn down. I acquired some "new" hinges from a parts car, and these
hinges are very tight and nice. However, after replacing the top hinge in
the driver's side door, it still sags just as badly. The bottom hinge
appears to have no exess play so I have not replaced it.

My question is, might I have major structural problems which are causing
this door sag? I know this is difficult to diagnose with so little
information, but I can tell you the body of this car is very nice overall.
It is not rust-free, but it has very little rust. If a weak supporting
structure were causing the door sag, where might I look for evidence? What
part(s)/areas of the car may I have to repair/replace?

The parts car from which I scavenged these hinges (among other bits and
pieces) has a very good body and may be a source for me to get some new
body panels, like floorboards and such.

Thanks very much for any help,
Eric.

-----