Re: Exhaust secrets?

To: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Exhaust secrets?
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:16:32 -0500

Dean Dashwood wrote:

> Has anyone out there disconnected their exhaust pipe from the exhaust
> manifold?  If you have, could you please let me in on the secret of how
> to remove the front bolt?
>
> Ok, maybe this needs a bit more explaination....
>
> The exhaust pipe is connected to the manifold by three bolts.  One of
> these bolts comes off no problem.  Another one (on my car, anyway) will
> come off once I use some brute force (and a bit of WD-40 maybe) to get
> it unstuck.
>
> But I just can't get to the third one at all.  It is towards the front
> of the car, between the engine and the exhaust pipe.  I can get a socket
> onto it, and I can get a ratchet over the socket, but the ratchet will
> only face forwards - with the front of the engine on one side, and the
> suspension arm on the other side.  (If you try to get the ratchet to
> face any other way, the exhaust pipe gets in the way.)  The problem is
> that when I turn the ratchet, there is so little room between the engine
> and the suspension arm for it to move in, that I can't get the bolt
> undone - any movement doesn't even take up the slack in the ratchet, let
> alone start to move the bolt.
>
> Has anyone else come across this problem, or is it just me?????  Please
> tell me that I'm not the only one, and tell me how you got round the
> problem!  My car is currently in pieces, and I really don't want to have
> to put it all back together again to take it to the garage and get them
> to take it all apart again and charge me a fortune for it!
>
> TIA
>
> Dean Dashwood
> '77 Spit 1500 (nearly, anyway!)
> ----------------------------------

Dean,

Just went out into the garage and checked my '76. Just had the head off, and
removed the manifold WITH it. Maybe it's just your car, but I have plenty of
room to maneuver for that front bolt, although, if I recall correctly, I
used a box end wrench to get mine off. PLUS a lot of BLASTER PB penetrating
fluid on the day prior to removing it.

You can take the manifold off the head prior to removing the head, but it is
a big PAIN to get to the inner bolts. I would recommend taking it off as a
unit, if at all possible.

Good luck.

Cheers,
--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.seacoast.com/~jsweet/brotherh/index.html
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249