Re: Stromberg carb problem, Chapter 2

To: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell), Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stromberg carb problem, Chapter 2
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 19:02:05 -0500
At 10:31 PM 4/1/99 -0500, Glenn Trunnell wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wanted to update  everyone on my crusade to make my Stromberg carb.,
>perform the way I imagine it did when my car left the factory.  So far I
>have rebuilt the carb myself, and then had it rebuilt by apple hydraulics
>in NY.  It has new throttle bushings etc. but still will only idle well
>when it's adjusted all the way rich.  I took the car to my local LBC shop
>and they tinkered with it for about a day and then switched it with another
>carb which seemed to run much better, they let me take the car for the
>weekend to try out and see if I felt that it was running properly.....

Glenn,

  Unfortunately the Haynes manual I have on the ZS carbs was published
in 76 and doesn't list the B5CH needle or the 1500 Spits.

I've been following your problems a little, but I don't remember if you had
the water choke or not.  I also think you mentioned about closing the port
to your choke.

My 77 1500 Spit has had carb problems since I purchased it.  I just haven't
spent the time to get it right.  I've swapped carb and finally gotten it
to run.  I've got a couple of rebuild kits and need to spend the time to
really clean the carb and rebuild it.

I also have a Saab Sonett that was having carb problems with.  It uses
a Ford Motor Co. 1 barrel carb, nothing like the ZSs.  I had to tear it
down 3 times and rebuild it before I got it running.  I don't know what
finally solved the problems, I've had clogged idle circuit, a stuck
accelerator pump, etc.  But the last time I rebuilt the carb, I took the
water choke off of one of the spare carbs I had laying around and put it
on.  Now the car runs and I can even adjust the idle.

So you might want to try and plug the choke port on the side of the carb.
You can do this with a small thin piece of cardboard, like a divider from
a 3 ring binder.  See if that helps.  Also be sure that the screws that
hold the choke to the carb are tight.  Otherwise air can get in at the
joint.

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V