Stromberg carb problem, Chapter 2

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg carb problem, Chapter 2
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:31:34 -0500
Hi,

Just wanted to update  everyone on my crusade to make my Stromberg carb.,
perform the way I imagine it did when my car left the factory.  So far I
have rebuilt the carb myself, and then had it rebuilt by apple hydraulics
in NY.  It has new throttle bushings etc. but still will only idle well
when it's adjusted all the way rich.  I took the car to my local LBC shop
and they tinkered with it for about a day and then switched it with another
carb which seemed to run much better, they let me take the car for the
weekend to try out and see if I felt that it was running properly.  They
encouraged me to tinker with it, so I pulled off the top to examine the
needle and spring.  This is an early carb and has the B5CH needle installed
and what appears to be the same spring as my original carb.  this carb is
also adjusted competely rich so no progress there.  The B5CH needle was
very worn, but looked much smaller than my B1DL needle that's in the
original carb.  Does anyone have the dimensions of these two needles?  I
have the Haynes weber/su/stromberg book and it lists the needle, but the
specs aren't there.  It seems that several pages are missing in that
section, does anyone else have the same problem with this book?  I have had
a head job done on this engine, but I'm beginning to believe that the
problem may be worn valve guides allowing a little extra air into the
cylinder when the intake opens, the car doesn't burn any oil, but Spitfire
heads are so under lubricated, there's not much oil up there to seep
through the guide and burn.  Does anybody have any experience with this
problem?  I'm going to try the carb cleaner test on the valve stems and see
if I can isolate the problem this weekend,  I'll keep ya'll posted on my
results.

Glenn Trunnell
'79 Spitfire (I wish I had the Dual SUs)