On road vibration

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: On road vibration
From: "Randall M. Potter" <rpotter@MAIL.CLARION.EDU>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:30:15 -0500
Listers -

My driveshat is now at the shop to be balanced as part of my quest to
remove a 45MPH or above vibration in my Mk II.  To pass the time this
morning while waiting for the dog to come in from her six AM excursion, I
began to read through my various manuals looking or inormation on
replacement of the shaft once I get it back.  The Clymer manual seemed to
suggest that the splined, slip joint end of the shaft should be forward -
other sources do not say which way it should go.  Can anyone tell me the
right way  to orient the shaft on reassembly?  Could this be the source of
my problem?  The splined end was at the rear when I removed it, but one of
the U joints had obviously been renewed recently (DPO) so I can't judge by
that.

Randy Potter
Spitfire 4 MkII
"Old Shakey"