Wiper update

To: vSaab@onelist.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper update
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 20:57:34 -0400
First, I'd like to thank every one that responded to my questions about the
windshield wiper motor assembly and the problems.

For those that don't remember:

1. Those on the Spitfire list - I never told you that it was in my Saab,
   for fear of all the laughter.
2. Those on the Saab list - I didn't really describe the problem I was having
   because I was having enought problems just getting the DA#$% thing out.

So for a recap of the problems:

1. The wiper motor in my Sonett is the same one as in the later Spitfires,
   it has the round motor housing.  There are 2 basic wiper motor assemblies
   used in the Spitfires (and many other British cars) and in the Sonetts
   (and other Saabs).  The older one has a rectangular motor housing, is a
   single speed motor - used from 62 - 68.  This one is a Lucas 75801 - Type
   DR3A. and is harder to disassemble and rebuild than the newer ones (with
   the round motor housing).  I have an article on disassembly and rebuilding
   the DR3A on my Morgan web page (listed below).

   I can't find the designation of the new motors

2. The wipers would only swip about 1/2 the windshield.  When turned off to
   park, they would park about 1/4 the way up the windshield.

3. They were very slow moving and would hang.

4. For the Saab readers, I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid thing
   out of the car to rebuild it.  Unfortunately, it is not as easy to work
   on as the one in the Spitfire.

For the Sonett readers, I would have never guess how you pull the wiper motor.
You start by removing the HOOD!  Then remove the 10ish sheet metal screws
that hold the top of the heater box to the base, and lift the top off.  You
now have access to the nut that connects the 1st tube to the wheel housing.
Remove the 2 nuts & bolts that attach the securing clamp to the inside fender
well.  Remove both wiper blades, so the transmissions are free to turn,
disconnect the electrical connection and you can now remove the wiper motor
and the drive wire by pulling it outward.

Once I had the motor out, I was able to rebuild it, and repack it with grease.
The only major problem I found with the motor assembly was the wheel shaft
was very rusty as was the bushing that it fits into.  I cleaned them up and
applied some grease.  The comutator on the armature was dirty so I cleaned
it.  Reassembled the motor and it seemed to work quite well.

There is a big difference in the way the park switches work on the 2 motors.
The earlier motor has a little hat on the wheel house.  There is an nsulator
in it and power is also applied to the hat.  To adjust the park position,
you loosen the screws and rotate the hat to acheive the desired park position.

The new motors has 2 pieces to the park switch.  The 1st is the actual switch
which is the little plastic box that the wire from the brushes and the power
leads attach to.  This switch is attached to the bottom of the wheel housing
by a small metal spring clip.  To remove the switch simply press the clip
to the outside of the wheel housing and when it come uncliped the switch
will fall off.  There is a micro switch in this plastic box.   Then second
part to the switch is on the wheel itself (and not shown in any of the
drawings I have of the wiper assembly.  There is a ramp built (cast) into
the plastic wheel.  When this ramp comes around and the power to the wiper
has been turned off, the ramp presses on the micro switch and breaks the
electrical connection.

So before you install the wiper blades, besure to cycle the motor using
the switch on the dash.

I replaced the wiper motor and drive wire and tried it out.  The operation
was still slow, and I could easily stop the wiper motion by holding the
wiper arm.  (On my Morgan, you will break something if you try this).  The
wipers did NOT park where I had set them.

So I pull the motor again and check the transmissions.  The driver's side
spins freely, but the passenger side rotates freely for about 2/3 of a
revolution then binds.  Aha! I found the problem.  So now I try to take the
transmission out of the car.  Boy was this a real treat.  I couldn't get the
outter nut off the xmission.  I finally was able to get a nut buster on it
and managed to break the nut and remove it.  Then the xmission was frozen to
the firewall.  This took a lot of coaxing, but I finally got it out.

I pulled a xmission off of one of my parts cars.  Again I had problems
getting the nut off.  And yes I did use some PB Blaster loose juice.  Over
a couple of days.

To make a long story short, I got the xmission replaced, reinstalled the
wiper motor assembly.   Cycle it to ensure it is in the park position,
reinstall the wiper arms & blades.  Guess what, I'm right back where I
started 3 days ago.  The system is slow to operate, the wipers DON'T
weep much past the vertical (don't clean the viewing area), and when
the wiper switch is turned off, they wipers DON'T part in the down
position.

Again thanks to all that have responded, and if anyone has any more ideas
of what to try, I'm all ears.  I need to get these stupid wipers working
so I can drive the car!!!

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi