Re: Wiper motor still not working.

To: Andrew Peterson <hambodancr@netscape.net>, vSaab@onelist.com,
Subject: Re: Wiper motor still not working.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 08:22:34 -0400
At 02:07 AM 4/6/99 PDT, you wrote:
>John,
>
>   Is it possible that the wiper motor was changed with a similar one off a
>different make of car and its range of operation is different? Seems
>far-fetched but stranger things have happened. Maybe try the motor off your
>parts car? I'll take one of my '78 99 motors apart tomorrow just to se how it
>goes together and see if I can come up with any ideas.

Andy,

If you do, it will have to be one of the later motors.  Not the DR3 with
the sqaurish motor housing.

The way it works is very simple.  The motor has a worm gear on the armature
shaft which inturn drives the main wheel.  The nice part about a worm gear
is it is self locking.  From what I remember the other day, this is fine.  The
motor has no play.  A link arm attaches to an offset hole in the wheel and
the to worm wire.  This turn the rotating motion to back and forth.

I don't really think changing the wiper motor will make a difference as
long as it is a similar one as the amount of motion on the worn wire is
fixed based on the offset of on the drive wheel.

I think the real problem might be in the xmissions.  As I can move the
wipers.  This suggests that the gear on the xmission is NOT fully enguaging
in the wire worm.  I've gotten a motor out of one of the parts cars, and
as you suggest I'll have to play with it later today.  I'm begining to
think that the probem might be the serated head on the xmission and or the
wiper arm.  If either of them is worn or stripped, it would allow the
xmission to turn and the wipers "stall".

If my problem is the wiper xmissions, I might have a problem.  I've tried
to get the xmissions off of my driver and the parts car.  This has turned
into a real job.  So far, I had to distroy the nut on the bad xmission and
on one of the xmissions on the parts car.  I may have to start looking for
some new/used xmissions on the net.

As I said before that the wiper motor assembly was the same as on many of
the British Sports cars, I did find out that there are different xmissions.
I have a spare xmission from my Morgan.  The wheel/gear in the xmissions is
apparently how they control the wiper motions.  The wheel/gear on my
Morgan's xmission is a lot smaller than the one on the Saab.  I haven't
been able to find any spare xmissions for my Spitfire to see if it uses
the same xmissions or not.

Thanks for the help

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V