RE: Differential Help Needed

To: "'Childs, David'" <dchilds@epri.com>
Subject: RE: Differential Help Needed
From: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:19:22 -0600
Dave- The four bolts you mention, on our '65 with a later (large flange)
differential, are socket head cap screws (take a hex wrench to get them out)
there is one (and only one) position of the drive flange that will allow you
to remove these bolts. You have to rotate the drive flange to each position,
wiggle and squirm the head of the cap screw out, and go on to the next. I
found one of these bolts to be more of a pain than the others, can't
remember which, seems like it was at the top, rear. The bearing holder and
seal should come out fairly easily after the bolts are free- it depends on
what sealant was used. The shaft simply slides into the splines on the side
gears of the diff. I wouldn't advise changing to hex head grade 8's, the
socket head caps have as good or better tensile strength rating, as long as
you don't get Chinese (H-K is a GOOD brand)-and they should be either
1/4"-20 or 1/4"-28- I can't remember.
Mark Haynes
"65 Spit-RMVR#162