Re: Wheels and tires on a spitfire

To: "Chip Mautz" <clmautz@yahoo.com>, "LARRY ELSWICK" <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: Wheels and tires on a spitfire
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:02:55 +0100
I have just replaced the tyres on the back axle with Pirelli P1000's 165R13,
they are lovely it sticks so much better than the old remoulds. The front
has new Firestone energy savers, same size.  I'll let you know in 12 months
how they wear, but at 28 pounds each they'd better last.  I reckon a new set
of these, and new ploy bushings, alle rack mounts, new shocks and you would
be a force to reckon with.

I also know people who have wide tyres on there car and as soon as winter
comes put the standard ones on.  The wide tyres become too dodge when the
weather gets bad.  Snow is the worst, but then if it dont rain and dont snow
what have you to worry about.  I personally like driving the spitfire in
winter, because its my only car, and the alternatives are to horrible to
comprehend.

Anyone know what size the alloy wheels are on other Triumphs dolys etc.
It's just thats what I want next.

Another strange thing I have noticed, since the engine is going faster after
carb work, the cornering speed of the car has gone up.  Still feels abit
vague, I maybe have to replace the steering column bushings.  Anyone know
how these effect the handling.

James (ceasing any opportunity to ramble on about things spit related)