Re: fuel pump won't

To: jw@mitre.org, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump won't
From: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:12:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/99 6:25:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jw@mitre.org
writes:

<< Tried to start after the winter, no fuel out of the pump, has gas going
 in. Took off the screws holding the top on the base (about 6 screws).
 The pump body is full of gas. Cranking moves the piston? up and down,
 although not very fast or far - slow but regular strokes about 1/4".

 Unscrewed the two screws in the top half of the pump, there is a  filter
 in one side that is clean. Once this assembly is removed from the top
 half, if I blow on either side of it, I get little popping sounds, but
 no free flow of air.

 This filter does not resemble the one in my Haynes book, and only
 partially looks like the one listed as being for a GT6 66-73 in the VB
 catalog on pg 91. My car is a 72 spitfire.

 Do I need a new pump or is there something that can be cleaned, etc?

 Joe

 I would replace the fuel pump $21 from Spitbits. I also had a no start after
the winter and my fuel pump would pump to the carb. but the least back
pressure and NO FUEL. New fuel pump fixed the problem to my pleasure and
surprise.

Pete VanDuyne
1980 Spit