fuel pump won't

To: spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel pump won't
From: Joe Whalley <jw@mitre.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:22:50 -0400
Tried to start after the winter, no fuel out of the pump, has gas going
in. Took off the screws holding the top on the base (about 6 screws).
The pump body is full of gas. Cranking moves the piston? up and down,
although not very fast or far - slow but regular strokes about 1/4".

Unscrewed the two screws in the top half of the pump, there is a  filter
in one side that is clean. Once this assembly is removed from the top
half, if I blow on either side of it, I get little popping sounds, but
no free flow of air.

This filter does not resemble the one in my Haynes book, and only
partially looks like the one listed as being for a GT6 66-73 in the VB
catalog on pg 91. My car is a 72 spitfire.

Do I need a new pump or is there something that can be cleaned, etc?

Joe