Re: stalling spitfire (somewhat long)

To: SpitfireKP@aol.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stalling spitfire (somewhat long)
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:15:50 -0400
Kris,

You forgot to mention if you are running the original Zenith-Stromberg
carb.  If so maybe we can help.

First look over the engine compartment and make sure all your vacuum lines
are snug and secure.

If they are, one thing I would suspect the Bypass-Deceleration valve.  This
is a spring-loaded device mounted on the front side of the carb. It is made
of metal and has what looks like an adjusting screw pointing forward.

The carb books caution against trying to adjust this thing, although the
Bentley manual has an adjustment procedure. New ones are $40 - $50.

It is possible to unscrew it (3 screws) and install a blank gasket against
the carb that would render it harmless.  A side effect to this action might
be backfiring when you let off the throttle, though.  At least that would
allow you to set your idle and mixture more accurately.

If you are unsure of it's location, email me off-list and I'll attach a
diagram.

The other suspects would be float level, a worn/dirty needle and seat, or
even a bad distributor diapragm.

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire