stalling spitfire (somewhat long)

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: stalling spitfire (somewhat long)
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:14:19 EDT
I have had a problem where my car stalls at stop signs for a while. Whenever
I am moving and I shift into neutral and brake to a stop, the RPMs drop and
the engine eventually stops. I can then restart the car and sometimes it
stays on, sometimes it doesnt. When I fisrt start the car, it idles without a
problem. It is only after I have been moving and come to a stop. If the car
does not stall after that, the RPMs move from 600 to 1500, with no input on
the throttle. At first, I turned the idle adjust screw, thinking that it
would adjust the idle speed. Only later, my dad told me that I was adjusting
the mixture. Later, I adjusted the actual idle control, but in order to keep
it from stalling, the car idles at nearly 1400-1500 RPM. Can anyone help me?
I am afraid of messing with the mixture anymore, b/c I dont want to burn the
valves. I cannot afford to take it to a mechanic, b/c I will be spending all
availible money repairing my mom's Volvo, which I drove into the back of a
Ford truck last week. It is somewhat embarassing to have the car stall at
every stopsign, but after running into a truck with my girlfriend in the
passenger seat, I dont think it matters anymore. This brings me to another
problem which I have encountered, of course, with my girlfiend in the car.
One night last week, I made a sharp turn in a parking lot while turning
around. The car stalled, for no apparent reason, and when I turned it back
on, it would not rev above 3000 RPM. I had to drive home at an incredibly
slow speed as a result. The next morning everything ws fine. This has
happened twice before, but always I have been able to restart the car, and
the problem goes away. Can anyone help with either problem?

Kris Powell