Re: Weak fuel pump (?) for spit 1500

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weak fuel pump (?) for spit 1500
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:21:01
Chris, Spitfire pumps are neat in the fact that the tank is higher than the
pump.  Therefore, priming is not usually a problem with them.  It would
appear that your pump is bad,  $21 to $27 from any of the normal suspects
should solve your problem.

Patrick.

Wait a minute - you ran out of fuel?  Have you replaced the fuel filter
and/or checked for clogged lines?

At 10:33 AM 4/12/99 -0700, Chris DeStaffany wrote:

>So here's the deal.  If I run out of gas (don't ask), the damn thing will
>not self prime by cranking.  Once I got it going by coasting down a long
>steep hill.  Once in a while, like yesterday, it appeared to get vapor lock
>even though it was only about 65 degrees out.  I've put together a little
>priming devise, it's a blood pressure cuff bulb pump and a couple of plastic
>hoses that I keep in the trunk, to reprime the pump when I loose the prime.
>So do I, A) live with this because it's a LBC and what do I expect, B)
>repair the pump with new parts and if so what parts or, C) replace the
>thing?  Oh enlighten me great list so maybe I can spend less time on the
>side of the road with the bonnet up trying no too look pathetic.
>
>Chris DeStaffany
>
>1975 Spit
>1966 Herald

Patrick Bowen