Re: Weak fuel pump (?) for spit 1500

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Subject: Re: Weak fuel pump (?) for spit 1500
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:44:04 -0700
Chris,
The correct answer is:  D. None of the above!

You could easily replace it with an electric fuel pump that starts
pumping as soon as the ignition is turned on.  If you do this, be sure
to make sure it does not pump over 3 psi or else get an in-line fuel
pressure regulator.

Regards,
Joe

Chris DeStaffany wrote:

> So here's the deal.  If I run out of gas (don't ask), the damn thing will
> not self prime by cranking.  Once I got it going by coasting down a long
> steep hill.  Once in a while, like yesterday, it appeared to get vapor lock
> even though it was only about 65 degrees out.  I've put together a little
> priming devise, it's a blood pressure cuff bulb pump and a couple of plastic
> hoses that I keep in the trunk, to reprime the pump when I loose the prime.
> So do I, A) live with this because it's a LBC and what do I expect, B)
> repair the pump with new parts and if so what parts or, C) replace the
> thing?  Oh enlighten me great list so maybe I can spend less time on the
> side of the road with the bonnet up trying no too look pathetic.
>
> Chris DeStaffany
>
> 1975 Spit
> 1966 Herald

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer