vacuum lines was idle increase

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: vacuum lines was idle increase
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:06:15 PDT
Well I think I found the problem with the high idle.  Per Tommy
Morris' suggestion I checked the vacuum lines going into the carb and
I discovered that mine had ruptured.  Evidentally the heat from the
exhaust manifold melted it.  It looks like a piece of fuel line hose
was used to make the junction instead of a proper hard plastic elbow.

Anyway on to the question.  I was looking in the Vicky Brit spring 99
cat (p 87) and i noticed that my vacuum is not attached the way that
the picture has it for a MkIV.  I assume that the ZS is original to
my car but I only have a single vacuum line and it attaches on the
bottom of the carb not near the flange like the picture shows.  I
have a vacuum retard and my timing is set close to 2 degrees ATDC.
Should I worry about the vacuum placement?  The carb was
professionaly rebuilt and tuned about 4 months ago and has been
running great up until the meltdown.

thanks in advance

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire