Re: ZS carb question!

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: ZS carb question!
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:56:53 -0500
Pat,

If the gasket with the button is the one I am thinking of  - it is in the
deceleration and by-pass valve.   It is a a valve held to the carb by three
screws and the unit is held together by two or three screws with a center
longer screw that is used for adjusting it  The long screw presses against the
button in the gasket.

When I rebuilt the engine on the my 80 Spit several years ago  - this gasket
was torn. The mechanic that specializes in British cars recommended just
blocking it off.  It hasn't caused any trouble since.  My understanding is that
it helped keep the rpm from dropping off quite as fast when you let off the
pedal. It helped lower emissions.

What pin twisted off on the tool?   If you are talking about the locating pin,
I think you can still use it.  I just use a long 1/8" hex wrench and hold the
piston to keep it from turning.  Make sure you are turning it the right way. It
should be the way to weaken the mixture - counter clockwise.

Roger Elliott