Re: Help with Spitfire Valve Adjustment

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>
Subject: Re: Help with Spitfire Valve Adjustment
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:38:23 -0400
> I need tips on adjusting the valve clearances on
> my 1500 Spit. The Haynes manaul calls for all
> clearances to be set at .010 inches. Is this correct?
> It also  says to adjust certain valves when other valves
> are fully open. Any tips on making sure these valves are fully
> open? Thanks!

Larry,

The idea of calling for such and such another valve to be "all the way
open" is to make sure the cam lobe of the valve you are adjusting is at
its minimum. Thing is, it stays at its minimum (within, say, .001) for
quite a bit of rotation.

Short answer: If it looks like that other valve is open about as wide as
it'll go, you're more than close enough to set the gap.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald (Happy Birthday, Zobo/Herald!)
'68 TR250