Re: Help with Spitfire Valve Adjustment

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>
Subject: Re: Help with Spitfire Valve Adjustment
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:43:26 -0400
LARRY ELSWICK wrote:

> I need tips on adjusting the valve clearances on
> my 1500 Spit. The Haynes manaul calls for all
> clearances to be set at .010 inches. Is this correct?
> It also  says to adjust certain valves when other valves
> are fully open. Any tips on making sure these valves are fully
> open? Thanks!
set the valves at .012" cold.  it is beter to have a little noise than
to burn the valves.  just watch the valves as you roll the car in a
forward direction.  when the rocker does not move, that valve is ready
to adjust.  actually the best method is the "rule of 9".  roll the car
forward - do not bump over with the starter until the number 1 valve
(the one at the front of the head) is fully depressed, then adjust its
counterpart, which is valve number 8 or the last valve.  the total of
the valves you are adjusting should always add up to nine. with #2 fully
depressed, adjust #7 and so on. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive