Re: Unleaded Update

To: <Sebastian_King@ipc.co.uk>, <mini-list@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Unleaded Update
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:38:29 +0100
My unleaded conversion is running well, although since changing the points I
have got some pinking again.  Need to get out there with the strobe again.
Probably running about 15 BTDC.  Or the quality of unleaded has gone down
again.  Anyway 500 miles of regular 5k+ rpm driving (when over taking), and
doing nothing except keeping an eye on the valve clearances has worked.  I
reckon it has to last 4000 miles and the money I save will pay for my
cylinder head overhaul, with maybe valve seat inserts.

Personally I want to avoid putting those things in my cylinder head, it's
the heating and cooling of two dismissed metals which I don't like.  Stinks
of nasty things happening to the engine, all to prevent valve seat recession
the cure for which is to fit new valve seats anyway.  Might as well weight
until they go!  Anyone know where I can get lithium heat pipe valves from?
In my view a much better solution.

P.S.

I read an article which says that unleaded petrol should be banned.  Not
only is it highly carslenogenic (spell checker), but also extremely
explosive.  There have been a lot of people killed who would not have if
they had filled with 4*.  The flash point of leaded is so much lower than 4*
it's unbelievable.

James