Home made Churchill flange removal tool :-)

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2),
Subject: Home made Churchill flange removal tool :-)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:11:08 -0700
>Barry,  did you say you "made" and puller adaptor?  Could you enlighten us
>on what this takes?  I am sure that at some point I will have to do this as
>well.  Thanks
Sure, it's deceptively simple, but as I basically have a machine shop in my
garage, it wasn't too hard.  Actually, any good machine shop could make one
up, but then again it costs

What I made was a thick, rectangular in cross-section, doughnut.  It is
made out of aluminum with the outer diameter roughly five to six inches,
the hole in the center just big enough to clear the brake drum mounting
boss, and 1 inch thick.  (I don't have the part in question here at work,
just relying on memory for size)  Four holes are drilled to match the bolt
pattern on the flange (4 x 3-3/4 inch).  these holes are large enough in
diameter so that I can use shoulder type lug nuts (commonly used for mag
wheels) to secure this piece to the flange.  This adaptor is what the
puller fingers attach to.  (I now just use a hydraulic press, but used to
use a large three fingered puller).  This will prevent bending of the
flange, because the thick aluminum resists bending, and distributes the
load much more evenly over the four mounting studs. I haven't had a
problem, or an axle set that I couldn't separate yet (although I'm sure
there's one out there somewhere).