Re: What Relay for Adding a Fan

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: What Relay for Adding a Fan
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:40:54 -0700
David,
Your installation sounds just like what I have on Huxley.  I used no
relay at all and have had no problems in the 2 years it has been on the
car.  When I first installed it, the fan ran backward so I modified the
wiring.  But later I discovered that there was a way to reverse the flow
on the fan itself.  I guess it pays to read the instructions.

Joe

David Moag wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> While patiently (NOT!) waiting for my body to arrive back on my TR3B so it's
> restoration can continue, I've turned my attention back to my Spitfire. I've
> decided to add an electrical fan (in push mode) to it, no thermostat, just a
> switch for when stuck in stop and go traffic on hot days. My question comes
> from what relay to use for this. I didn't get too far at the local auto
> parts store -- since I'm adding something that wasn't meant for the car,
> they can't look anything up. I did take a look at several relays just to get
> some ideas. From past postings, I was expecting to find them with four
> terminals. The ones they had with four terminals all looked like they needed
> special plugs to attach to them. They had some with more generic terminals
> (labeled as horn relays), but these only had three (unlabeled) terminals on
> them.
>
> So --- what kind of relay do I want to get, and how do I determine how it is
> wired since I have no directions or wiring diagram to go by.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave Moag
> 62 TR3B
> 77 Spitfire