Tub repair

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tub repair
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:23:07 +0100
Here's a question for all of you who have done a complete overhaull.

How much work is there in stripping most of the tub to bear metal.

Replaceing the sills if nessecery at least taking them apart and re-welding.

Reparing the firewall and arround where the MC's are.

Patching parts of the boot floor, along with seatbelt mounts.
Checking the rear wheel arches.

Replaceing the floor pans.

Repairing a flex in the 'A' and 'B' posts.

Taking the bonnet apart and patching rusted bits and reparing the wheel
arches.  But having to split all the pannels to get all the rust.

Taking the underseal off and cleaning the underneath off.

Reparing the boot lid!

Generaly loosing 5 gallons of filler from the bodywork!

Is it worth splitting the body and frame at the same time given the slight
surface rust on the upper shock mount beam.

Reenforceing the trailing arm mount points.

Generaly I have to take a lot of joints apart clean up the rust starting in
the joint and reweld.

Should I tackel this myself or entrust the able hand of my local garage.
i.e. I strip the car trailer the tub up to the garage and get them to give
it a going over and respray.

Or should I buy a MIG and have a go!  It'll be £200 for a desant second hand
MIG then I have to learn!

Then there is the cost of the professional respray.  Basicly if I put all
that workin I wan't my car to look first class!

How much of an overdraft am I staring at, should I get one of thoes Platinum
credit cars I get offers for!

OH the chassis is strong! Just needs a few areas stripping and repainting!

Or should I buy a Spitfire with a good tub which dosent need all this work
and do some jiggleing of parts and sell what is a car with 21 DPO's.

I don't know!